As mentioned previously, many ageing faces droop and also deflate. Dr Roy Chio uses fillers to help restore the “volume loss” associated with ageing.
This helps to correct and enhance the areas listed below:
• Folds, wrinkles, scars and other face irregularities
• Glabellar (lower forehead) frown lines: this helps to further correct this area after Botox therapy
• Nasolabial folds (between nose, mouth and cheeks)
• Marionette lines (depressed mouth corners)
• Cheek augmentation
• Chin augmentation
• Correcting hollows under the eyes
• Lip enhancement for fuller, more sensual lips. Correction of wrinkles around the lip edges
During treatment, Dr Chio injects the filler with the finest possible needle to immediately “plump up” the area. Mild pinkness and swelling will subside within a few hours of an ice pack.
For certain sensitive areas like the lips, a nerve block may be necessary. Slight bruising may be possible if the patient has very sensitive skin. Studies have shown that the allergy to the filler material is rare. Depending on the filler used and the area treated, top-ups can be done every half to one year.
What about permanent fillers?
Patients sometimes express a desire for more “permanent fillers” so that they do not have to return for top-ups. While there are some semi-permanent and long-lasting fillers, Dr Chio normally does NOT recommend using them for one simple reason:
Most patients do not look exactly the same year after year. The permanent filler does not adapt to the changing appearance of the patient. So, what looks good now may not be ideal years from now but because of its permanence, the filler may look out of place.